Get to know us
eyeo is an open source software company whose market-leading ad-filtering technology powers products like Adblock Plus, Adblock and Adblock Browser, and whose privacy-first products like Crumbs promote transparency and an improved browsing experience. eyeo is dedicated to giving users control of their online experience while fostering a sustainable online value exchange to offer creators, publishers and advertisers more ways to earn money for the content they provide.
In combining our reach of distribution partnerships and our own products, our technology runs on over 225 million devices.
At eyeo, we’re passionate about user agency, personal privacy, sustainability and keeping the web an open, fair resource for everyone.
How we work
eyeo has colleagues based all over the world. We practice agile and work in distributed, cross-functional teams that span nearly every timezone. Many of our tech teams prefer to work asynchronously.
What you'll do
ABPKit is a content blocker management framework for iOS WKWebView. As an Engineering Lead for the ABPKit team, you will have two main responsibilities: ensuring high quality of our technical deliverables, and helping the engineers in the team develop and grow.
As the person responsible for the delivery of your team, you’ll have previous experience in most of the following: enabling productive and sustainable ways-of-working, ensuring that your team has sound engineering practices, and defining a technical strategy that supports delivering business value. We are also looking for someone who is excited about helping engineers grow and identify how they can provide the most value, as well as removing impediments that could be blocking them.
As a lead for strong engineers, technical leadership and a solid background in software development is a must. You’ll actively contribute to the codebase and help the team improve the product hands-on. You'll have the opportunity to influence team culture, strategy and execution. We’re a growing organization, so you’ll need to be comfortable creating clarity for yourself and your team, even in a changing environment.
After your morning coffee, you'll be expected to...
- Actively contribute to the success of a small team by developing and maintaining ABPKit.
- Improve the current Objective-C and Swift codebase, including memory management, concurrency and parallelism, integration with web technologies, etc.
- Collaborate with the team’s Product Manager and Agile Coach to ensure the right processes and tools are in place, in order to deliver predictably against business goals.
- Maintain a balance between building high-quality technology, preventing technical debt, and releasing things quickly.
- Facilitate necessary technical and architectural discussions and decision making within the team and across teams.
- Contribute to and implement the overall technical strategy of the unit and of eyeo.
- Ensure the engineers in your team have the right skills through hiring, onboarding, mentoring, coaching, feedback and hands-on career development.
- Build a team culture that is collaborative, inclusive, and respectful and in line with eyeo’s core values.
- Encourage, empower, and celebrate the learnings and successes of your team and people.
What you bring to the table...
- Proficiency with Swift and Objective-C
- Experience with Reactive Extensions (RxSwift, Combine)
- Understanding of how package managers on Apple platforms work (Cocoapods, Carthage, SPM)
- Experience with CI/CD workflows at least as a user (bonus for having set up pipelines)
- Interest or maybe even first experience in managing and leading cross functional software engineering teams
- Experience with continuous improvement and Agile software development, particularly in collaboration with product managers/owners
- Excellent communication and collaboration skills
- Passion about introducing software engineering best practices and having an impact on large-scale tech problems
- A thorough understanding of how the web works
It's awesome, but not required, if you know about...
- Experience in working with B2B software
- Remote work experience
- Experience in developing cross-platform frameworks
- Experience in content blocking
- Experience in Open Source software development
- Familiarity with the Safari Extensions model
- Familiarity with WKWebView
What we offer
- Work from home or one of our offices —we trust you to find what works best for you
- Stipend for one of the following: home office or relocation
- Flexible working hours
- 28 days paid vacation
- Your choice of hardware and setup
- Personal and professional development budget
- Monthly child care stipend for children under 6
- Offsite team days and the annual summer company retreat in Cologne
- Company-sponsored hackathons