Status: 1-year contract, with potential for long term hire
Location: Fully virtual offices
Position Budget: $6,250 USD - $8,000 /mo depending on experience
This contract role will triage inbound work requests, prioritize project backlogs, suggest solutions for productivity and motivation, and manage projects to completion.
The primary scope will be to manage the migration of Drupal.org collaboration tools to our hosted GitLab instance, including collaboration with staff and community stakeholders, mapping requirements, researching existing contributor workflows, proposing and validating new workflows, and developing a project plan that progressively improves the developer experience throughout the project.
Our Engineering team undertakes several projects simultaneously, and we may request additional project support as time and resources allow. Example tasks and projects may include:
- The GitLab migration project, as outlined above
- Sunsetting an unused drupal.org sub-site, after migrating or deprecating any remaining functionality
- Preparing a project plan for migrating a drupal.org sub-site to Drupal 9
- Developing a resource plan for a new project requested by another internal department
- Pair-programming or 'Rubber-ducking' (i.e: asking good questions and listening well) to help engineers breakthrough a productivity block
Overview of Drupal Association: Drupal is the open-source digital experience platform utilized by millions of people and organizations worldwide, made possible by a community of over 100,000 contributors and enabling more than 1.3 million users on Drupal.org. The Drupal Association is a non-profit organization focused on accelerating Drupal, fostering the growth of the Drupal community, and supporting the project’s vision to create a safe, secure, and open web for everyone.
- Use Agile methodology to prioritize, plan, and deliver projects
- Develop robust project plans with input from key stakeholders (Chief Technology Officer or other leaders in the organization) and engineering peers such as architects and developers who can estimate the work
- Account for key rhythms in the year (such as DrupalCon events) to deliver critical milestones for these projects at these times.
- Develop a deep understanding of the goals of each project to inform the approach and roadmap
- Support individual team members as needed to deliver essential project components in a timely fashion
- Manage project activities, including leading project review sessions, strategy, scheduling, reporting, and technical performance
- Deliver proactive communication and reporting to CTO and internal leadership team of project status, roadblocks, and solutions
- Excellent resource planning and prioritization skills
- Knowledge of Asana, Jira, Kanban, or similar project management tool
- Strong understanding of the psychology of productivity and motivation
- Ability to work one-on-one and in small groups with individual contributors to keep them on task and motivated
- Thoughtful problem solver
- Good communication skills - comfortable writing brief blog posts with status reports for public consumption by the community
- Experience with open source contribution
- 1-2 years of experience in Drupal development
- Experience working in an Agile/Scrum environment
- Ability to make direct, individual contributions (either in development or UX design) will be given heavy consideration
- Past experience project managing a Drupal community initiative will be given heavy consideration
- Comfort working in a Dev/Stage/Prod workflow is a plus
- Comfort with test-driven development (TDD) is a plus
- Experience working with volunteers/open source contributors is a plus
- Experience presenting at technical meetups, camps, or conferences is a plus
- Ability to work with diverse groups of people
- Commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion
How to Apply
- Submit a letter of interest, resume/CV, and desired monthly fee no later than 5 pm PDT, 9 August, 2021
About the Drupal Association
The Drupal Association is an educational non-profit organization that fosters and supports the Drupal software project, the community, and its growth. We work to support the resiliency and sustainability of Drupal to create a safe, secure, and open web for everyone.
Our Commitment to Diversity
The Drupal Association is committed to diversity and creating an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds. We know that meeting this commitment means continuing to grow, learn, and evolve. We encourage members of traditionally underrepresented communities to apply including people of color, women, LGBTQIA people, and people with disabilities.