Status: 1-year contract, with potential for long term hire
Location: Fully virtual offices
Position budget: $5,725 - $7,000 USD/mo depending on experience
Number of open positions: 2
We have two open contract positions. These roles will support the development of tools and features that enable contribution to the Drupal open source project and foster growth of Drupal adoption and provide general engineering and IT support to Drupal Association departments.
Our support needs run a wide gamut, providing a variety of opportunities. Examples of support requests might include:
- Updating the integration between the events.drupal.org platform and the session and scheduling software selected for future DrupalCons
- Responding to a ZenDesk support ticket from a Drupal.org user who is having technical issues with account creation
- Updating the organizational profile on Drupal.org to support new features or badges for participation in Fund Development programs.
- Deprecating legacy code to eliminate technical debt in preparation for the migration to Drupal 9
- Implementing or improving features like the Initiative sections on Drupal.org
- Many more
The selected contractor will have opportunities for mentorship and pair programming with existing Engineering team members but must also be self-sufficient when requested for separate projects.
Overview of Drupal Association: Drupal is the open-source digital experience platform utilized by millions of people and organizations worldwide, made possible by a community of over 100,000 contributors and enabling more than 1.3 million users on Drupal.org. The Drupal Association is a non-profit organization focused on accelerating Drupal, fostering the growth of the Drupal community, and supporting the project’s vision to create a safe, secure, and open web for everyone.
- Develop Drupal solutions for Drupal Association initiatives working closely with the internal team of architects and engineers, external resources such as contract designers and UX professionals, and contributors from the Drupal community
- Front-end and back-end development, including the creation and maintenance of custom modules and themes when necessary. This may include modules that are contributed back to the Drupal community
- Simplify, consolidate, and eliminate technical debt, reducing Drupal.org's reliance on custom code and contributed modules, and simplifying the process of migrating to Drupal 9
- Research, recommend and help deploy existing modules that can be used to fulfill Drupal Association backlog requirements to support initiatives, especially in the context of the upcoming migration to Drupal 9
- Work with the engineering team to help support the Drupal community by assisting in the troubleshooting of issues coming from the issue queue
- Help develop or assist in the process of automating, deployment, and management of multiple Drupal sites
- Handle escalated support requests of a technical nature from other internal departments or external community members
- Follow software best practices and coding standards
- Thoughtful problem solver
- Collaborative engineer, versed in pair-programming
- Good documentation habits
- Experience with open-source contribution
- 1-2 years of experience in Drupal development
- 1-2 years of experience with PHP development
- Experience working in an Agile/Scrum environment
- Good understanding of Git best practices
- Comfort working in a Dev/Stage/Prod workflow
- Comfort with test-driven development (TDD)
- Prior experience contributing to the Drupal project, or Drupal.org directly, will be given strong consideration.
- Experience with one or more of these development tools a plus:
- Experience working with volunteers/open source contributors is a plus
- Experience presenting at technical meetups, camps, or conferences is a plus
- Ability to work with diverse groups of people
- A commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion
How to Apply
Submit a letter of interest, resume/CV, and desired monthly fee no later than 5 pm PDT, 9 August, 2021
About the Drupal Association
The Drupal Association is an educational non-profit organization that fosters and supports the Drupal software project, the community, and its growth. We work to support the resiliency and sustainability of Drupal to create a safe, secure, and open web for everyone.
Our Commitment to Diversity
The Drupal Association is committed to diversity and creating an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds. We know that meeting this commitment means continuing to grow, learn, and evolve. We encourage members of traditionally underrepresented communities to apply including people of color, women, LGBTQIA people, and people with disabilities.